Naan flew in on Thursday night as a surprise for Hawk's birthday, which is this coming Monday. Ba orchestrated the whole surprise; he called Naan about a month ago to see if she'd be available to fly up for this weekend, and it worked out well because she had Friday off from work. He also called me and let me know that Naan would be coming up for the dinner, and I offered to pick her up on Thursday night, since we live so close to the airport. Ba told Hawk that he and Shweetie and I would be taking her to Wente for dinner this past Friday night. Somehow, all of us and the handful of people we told, managed to not mention anything about Naan attending to Hawk. To her credit, Naan, who calls Hawk every day after work, also managed to not spill the beans.
Ba left it up to us how we wanted to surprise the Hawk. Naan and I decided, since I was merely working from home on Friday, that we'd take Hawk out to lunch that day. I talked to Hawk earlier in the week and said, "Hey, since Ba's taking you out for your birthday dinner, why don't I take you out for a birthday lunch this Friday?"
When it finally came time for us to meet Hawk for lunch, Naan and I started worrying that Hawk might have suspected something, but Hawk quickly proved otherwise. While at the stoplight right before arriving at the restaurant, we noticed that Hawk was two cars ahead of us. We followed her all the way into the parking lot, then parked right next to her, on her left. She turned and waved at us, since she amazingly recognized my car, then her mouth made a gaping "O" and she stared at us in this fashion for at least 20 seconds. I couldn't see her eyes, because she was wearing dark sunglasses, but I imagine they were getting wider and wider, just like her mouth. We tried to get a picture of this moment, but Naan couldn't get a decent shot through her passenger side window and Hawk's driver's side window.
Needless to say, Hawk was completely shocked and really happy that Naan was home. I don't think I've ever seen a person look that shocked in my entire life.
No comments:
Post a Comment