Sunday, June 8, 2008

Amusing flight down to LA

Shweetie and I spent the weekend down in LA, visiting his parents, since his mom's birthday was on Thursday, and we haven't seen them since March after his mom's back surgery. In fact, we're still down here. I'm currently sitting on his sister's couch, while Shweetie and his future brother-in-law play this tank game on the Wii.

We flew down here yesterday morning on Southwest, and I can honestly say it was the most enertaining flight ever. The first funny thing that happened was when we were selecting seats on the plane. As most of you know, Southwest doesn't assign seats, but lets you seat yourself on a first come, first serve basis. We were at the end of boarding group B, so by the time we got on, every row had someone in it, and most of the front rows were already completely full. Shweetie wanted to sit in the very back, rather than the middle, since they let you disembark from both the front and back of the plane in Burbank. He led me all the way to the third from last row and asked the guy sitting on the aisle if we could take the middle and window seats. As the guy stood up, I started cracking up. Of all of the empty seats available, Shweetie had picked the only row that had a guy in it who was wearing similiar jeans and the exact same jacket as him - a forest green zip-up with stripes down the length of the sleeves.

Me: *laughs*
Shweetie: "Huh?"
Me: *points* "You're wearing the same jacket."
Shweetie: *laughs*
Aisle Guy: *takes off headphones* "What?"
Shweetie: *points back and forth between himself and Aisle Guy*
Aisle Guy: "Oh!"
Shweetie: *sits down, takes off jacket*
Aisle Guy: "Well, you don't have to take it off."
Shweetie: *laughs* "I'm hot."

The flight attendant was also super amusing. She talked a mile a minute and made constant quips throughout the safety briefing. While we were still climbing in altitude, she got on the PA system again and said, "Folks, this is a very short flight, so you need to help us out. Look down the aisle; here come your snacks." All of us laughed, but then a few seconds later, people really started cracking up, because, sure enough, little blue and gold packages of peanuts were shooting down the aisle towards us. She continued the rest of the flight in this fashion, periodically getting on the PA system and saying something funny. Finally, as we were coming in for landing, she came on one last time and sang a very good, nearly two-minute rendition of "I Just Called to Say I Love You," substituting it with "We just want to say we love you," and singing all about how much they appreciated their Southwest customers.

I think this'll go down in history as the most memorable flight ever.

No comments: