Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oscillate Wildly in Sydney

We had the strangest meal of our lives in Sydney at a restaurant called Oscillate Wildly. This place is a popular foodie destination, and is well known for its use of molecular gastronomy. I had an idea of what to expect, but eating it was still a lot stranger than it sounded before we got there. Nevertheless, the service was lovely and we throughly enjoyed our meal, though we won't be clamoring to try any more molecular gastronomic eateries again anytime soon.


Celeriac, Tonka, Brazil Nut, White Chocolate


Tomato Snow, Cottage Cheese, Cucumber, Soil


Salmon, Grapefruit, Beetroot, Lavender, Liquorice Root


Mulloway, Bacon, Onion, Parmesan Crust


Duck, Sassafras, Sweet Potato, Cinnamon


Lamb, Pistachio, Eggplant, Quince, Port


Hibiscus, Long Pepper, Ginger, Coriander


Pumpkin Pie

The reason this meal was so weird, at least for me, was that every dish tasted exactly like whatever the menu said it was supposed to be, but looked nothing like what I know that item to look like. The best example of this was probably the "pumpkin pie." I've eaten lots of pumpkin pie in my life, and I can promise you it looks nothing like what you see pictured above. Although it tasted delicious, I would honestly rather have a slice of pumpkin pie that Hawk makes every Thanksgiving, y'know?

No comments: