Shweetie and I left CJ and Hammer's party early on Saturday because I needed to get back for my dear friend Aym's bachelorette party, which I organized. The week leading up to the event was extremely irritating for me because one of the other bridesmaids flaked out on the party, saying she needed to attend an awards ceremony for an organization she's in because she'd been nominated for an award (Um, who cares? Skip the stupid awards ceremony! Is it really more important than the only bachelorette party your future sister-in-law is ever going to have? And as a bridesmaid it's your duty to attend the bachelorette party, duh!), and then would not get back to me about whether her cousins were planning to attend the party or even give me their contact information, despite my two emails and phone call to her. Aym finally had to call her future mother-in-law for their contact information the day before the party, then called the deadbeat bridesmaid's cousins herself.
The bachelorette party itself was a complete hit, if I do say so myself, and the most important thing is that Aym had a good time. Her only request was that we hit up a club that is near and dear to her, G3 Lounge in San Francisco, and that we go dancing at a gay bar afterwards. I picked a restaurant two doors down from G3, called Bella Trattoria, then planned for us to go to G3 for karaoke and Guitar Hero, and then SF Underground.
Bella Trattoria was a very pleasant surprise, with good Italian food, decent ambiance, affordable prices, and good-humored waitstaff who were amused by the penis veil I made Aym wear, our glow-in-the-dark "dickie" straws, and our gigantic "succulent peckers" breath fresheners. They were also very flexible. I changed our reservation the day of the dinner from eight people to five people, and then when we arrived and realized that another person who had RSVPed "yes" was not going to show up (man, such flakes!), they willingly changed our table from five settings to four. When another person who'd RSVPed "maybe" showed up at the tail end of dinner, Bella Trattoria added another place setting again and brought another menu to our latecomer without batting an eye.
After dinner, we walked 50 feet to G3, then stayed there from 9:45 till they shut down at 2:00 am. We ended up not having the right cable for Guitar Hero, so we ended up just singing karaoke till our throats were raw. G3 may have gotten awful reviews on Yelp, but I liked this Korean-owned place because it was totally empty (there were never more than three other patrons there at a time), so singing karaoke there was very private, even if we had to stand up on stage to sing. One of Aym's male friends decided to join us there, and, even though he was a bit reserved, helped sing back-up for several of the many Billy Joel songs we sang that evening. I only had a half glass of wine at dinner (I was Aym's designated driver), but I got up on stage and sang my requisite "(H)Underneath Your Clothes," by Shakira, then belted out Billy Joel's "Piano Man."
After we closed down the joint, we realized that it was too late to check out SF Underground, so we instead headed down a couple of blocks to King of Thai for a 2:00 am snack. I knew I would regret it later, but I ate a half bowl of noodle soup, and man did it hit the spot.
We all parted ways at 3:00 am, and I drove Aym home. I was totally exhausted, since I don't think I've ever been out that late, and I'm pushing 30, so I'm almost always in bed at that hour. I had felt bad earlier for Aym that several of her friends had been so rude as to not even show up for the party - her other bridesmaid didn't show up after her awards ceremony ended, the bridesmaid's cousins who said they'd meet up with us after they were done with work never even bothered to call, and another friend who'd RSVPed "yes" never gave a decent explanation as to why she'd decided not to show up, other than a quick text that said, "I'm packing." However, in the end, I realized I'd done all I could do to make it a successful event for my dear friend who I've known the longest of all of my friends (since third grade!), and all of the planning was worth it when, after dropping her off in the parking lot, she gave me a big hug and said, "Thank you so much for planning this. I had such a good time!" I got home by 4:00 am, and after reading my emails, went promptly to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment