I figure the only reason Shweetie puts up with my idiosyncracies is because he certainly has his own. He keeps them pretty well-hidden, but they're there. One of them is his craving for the most random foods.
For a while he was desperately craving El Pollo Loco. We finally nipped that craving in the bud a couple of months ago when we were out in the Walnut Creek area, since there's one in Concord.
Since then, he's been longing for Yoshinoya, which is a Japanese fast food chain known for its beef bowls. I'd never had it, but Shweetie has been talking about it nonstop. There used to be one in San Francisco, but we realized a couple of months ago (at the start of this obsession) that that branch had closed and that the closest one to us now is in Santa Clara. As obsessed as Shweetie is, he couldn't justify driving down to Santa Clara, especially with gas prices being what they are currently, just for a beef bowl. However, he had to drive down there for work last month, and was able to grab lunch there. I thought that would satisfy his craving, but it only seemed to make it worse. Since then, the idea of going to Yoshinoya has come up every weekend.
We finally decided to make the pilgrimage today, and justified it by spending the afternoon window shopping on Santana Row beforehand. We ordered a combo bowl of beef, chicken, and vegetables, and a small beef bowl over rice. I thought the beef was good, but the vegetables, which are practically neon, I could have done without. Actually, I think we probably could have just shared one large beef bowl or had two small beef bowls. Anyhow, Shweetie was really happy.
The weirdest thing about this place is the fact that they don't allow pictures inside. I took the picture of Shweetie at the register, and the dude in the kitchen said, "No pictures." I thought he was kidding, but he very seriously repeated, "There's no photos in here. You can take photos outside." What? After we sat down, I saw this sign on the wall, "Video surveillance in progress. No photography allowed inside the restaurant." Seriously, WHAT?! You can see that we didn't listen, even after being warned.
As far as my obsessions go, I love these diced mango drinks that we get at the Ulferts Center in Milpitas. We got one on our way down to Santana Row.
No comments:
Post a Comment