Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Year's Epiphany


One of the things I've struggled with in the past seven years or so is staying healthy and fit. I know that I'm technically at a healthy weight right now, but I miss being the weight I was at right after I did the South Beach diet back in 2004 (as I was in the picture of us in Paris above), and I miss working out regularly.

Shortly before new year's eve, while Shweetie and I were in LA visiting his parents, I was thinking about new year's resolutions. I don't usually make resolutions, but I started thinking about how I wanted to get back in shape. And then I had an epiphany! It's so simple. Here was my train of thought:

"I want to get back in shape and lose about 8 pounds. To do that, I need to go back to working out, which means I need to get to the gym at least four times a week. Right now I consistently go twice a week for Pilates and Pilates Sculpt. To get to the gym more, I need to leave work earlier, so that I'm not eating dinner those nights at 9:00 p.m., which would defeat the whole point of working out. To leave work earlier, I need to get to work earlier. To get to work earlier, I need to wake up earlier. To wake up earlier, I need to go to bed earlier. AHA!" So I made the new year's resolution to go to bed earlier. (When I announced my resolution to Shweetie, he gave me the most withering look. He's been telling me to go to bed earlier since, well, forever.)

The next day, it hit me. There's more to it than that just resolving to go to bed earlier. The reason I stay up late all the time is because I'm always working on some project, either for work or for the house. It seems I'm always trying to organize one thing or another, or plan therapy for the next day, on top of trying to take time to relax and unwind from a day at work. I therefore decided that my new year's resolution was to get organized, both at work and at home. If everything was already organized, the only thing I would ever need to do when I came home would be to relax and unwind, and take care of the day-to-day chores. I wouldn't be filing financial documents, sorting through boxes, or trying to find misplaced therapy materials.

We came back from LA on new year's day, and I promptly began cleaning out and organizing the second floor closet. After that, I tackled our walk-in closet and the study. Shweetie took care of the kitchen, which makes sense, since he obviously spends much more time in there than I do. I'd hoped that we'd have everything completely done before I went back to work on the 7th, but that didn't happen. However, almost everything is done now except for the garage, which I started on today. I've also organized almost all of my therapy materials, so that I can now write reports or do paperwork in-between therapy sessions, instead of running to make copies for the next students' session.

So, my new year's resolution is going pretty well so far. However, I have to admit that since I've been back at work, I still haven't made it to the gym more than twice a week. However, the house is about 90% organized, my work stuff is about 75% organized, and I've been consistently getting to bed by about 11:00 p.m. instead of midnight or 1:00 a.m. like I used to. I'm planning to bring about five boxes of stuff to the Salvation Army tomorrow to donate, which will put me that much closer to organizing and decluttering the house!

As for working out, I am planning to go for a walk tomorrow with my Hawk and K-dawg! See? Getting organized really is the solution to everything.

No comments: