Monday, January 21, 2008

Big plans for today

Seeing as how I have the entire day off from work (one of the major perks of working in the schools!), I have big plans for today. Like I said in my previous post, I'm planning to drop off oodles of stuff to the Salvation Army. I'm also going to have lunch with the Hawk, but the walk with K-Dawg and Hawk might have to be canceled because the weather is not cooperating, and we all hate walking on the treadmill because it's so boring. At least we also have Pilates tonight, so it's not like I won't be getting any exercise at all today. I also have a bunch of returns to do. It'll be nice to not only get some money back, but also to regain the space in my trunk that is currently occupied by silverware and two giant pillows.


However, I'm likely to refill that space with random stuff I want to pick up for therapy. One of the smaller things I need to get is a wrestling magazine. One of my fourth grade students is completely obsessed with wrestling. I always let my elementary school students pick a game to play while we work on their speech sounds. This kid always picks Candyland, but we never finish it because he's always distracted by the game pieces, which he makes wrestle while he commentates. I've given up on trying to play structured games with him, and decided that if commentating a pretend wrestling match will make him practice his speech, then that's what the therapy sessions will have to consist of. He makes a lot of errors in connected speech, particularly multisyllabic words, and his commentating always consists of long sentences with lots of multisyllabic words, so it's actually a perfect way to target his speech sound errors. He also said he'd be into reading wrestling stories, so I figured if I can find a magazine appropriate for his age, that'll be perfect for working on his sounds in oral reading. Seriously, I have to buy the most random things for therapy, but I guess that's what keeps my job interesting.

No comments: