I was thinking this morning how much more I look forward to going to my early intervention site than my elementary school site. Early intervention can make such a difference to kids who are at-risk or delayed, and you often times see them make so much progress in even a short period of time, whereas during the same amount of time at an elementary school site you barely scratch the surface. I find early intervention a lot more rewarding, and I really like collaborating with the rest of the interdisciplinary team and the children's families. The other thing about working with the wee ones is that I excuse them if they're acting bratty. After all, most of them are in the throes of their terrible twos. That kind of behavior is to be expected to a certain degree. It is so much more annoying to work with a seven-year-old who's having a bratty tantrum.
While Shweetie was preparing breakfast for me this morning (yes, I'm aware that this is not normal and that I'm spoiled) I said, "What do you think about me requesting my early intervention site full-time next school year?" He pulled a face. "You think the drive would get to me," I said, and he nodded while still making that face. It takes me 45 minutes to get there in the morning, and that's about the longest I can drive before I start getting sleepy or wanting to pull my hair out. The major plus about my elementary school site is that it's only 12 minutes away, or 15 on a bad day, and that on the days that I work there, I always make it home to catch at least one episode of Charmed.
It was pouring by the time I left my early intervention site today, but I left before 4:20, and figured I'd beat the traffic. I didn't take into account the fact that it was raining and that people cannot drive in the rain if their lives depended on it. Two accidents, 10 emergency vehicles, and an hour and a half later, I finally got home. Thank goodness I'd made a Peet's stop right after work or I think I might have had a cow during the half hour where I only traveled four miles. Despite my irritation, I'm still thinking I'd be happier if I worked at that site full-time.
After that aggravation, I arrived home and did not do any of the things that I've been needing to get done. I did not do a load of laundry, clean the coffee table, vacuum the bathroom, or draw and color giant fruits for my Caterpillar activity. Instead I plopped down at the computer and captioned photos from Shweetie's and my 2006 vacation to Seattle and Vancouver. Was it something that needed to get done? No, not really, but I enjoyed reliving that relaxing time. You can see the fruits of my labor here or under my Links.
No comments:
Post a Comment