I've realized that it's never going to be all done. Every day, no matter how productive I feel I'm being at work, I never seem to make any headway or get ahead. I guess that's just how it's going to be for this first year as I continue collecting materials and coming up with therapy ideas. As discouraging as this all sounds, today was a really good day at work. Chicken Pox Kid was back, and he still remembered how to produce all of his target sounds independently, even though I haven't seen him since January 9th, and he normally receives two hours of speech therapy a week. I said to him, "I'm so impressed, Chicken Pox Kid, that you remember how to do all your sounds all by yourself! Have you been practicing?" He fervently nodded and I thought to myself, "Man, I wish all my rugrats were like you." Then again, I might be out of a job if that were the case.
Another realization I came to recently is that if I want to get down to my Happy Weight, I'm definitely going to have to hit the gym more often. Yes, I already knew that, but part of me was hoping that I'd be able to at least get halfway there by being more mindful of what I eat. However, my body consistently settles to my Happy-Weight-Plus-10 when I control my portions, so it looks like those ten are going to have to be lost through sweat sessions. I've been sort of berating myself for not sticking to my resolve to hit the gym four times a week, but I've decided I need to give myself a break and start slowly. (Man, it's not even that I'm not sticking to my resolve; I never even started hitting the gym four times a week!) Anyway, I'll try adding some cardio sessions either before or after Pilates and Pilates Sculpt, then slowly work my way up by adding an extra day at the gym a week, and then eventually get up to my final goal of four times a week. I want to find another spin class that I enjoy, since I definitely saw immediate results in my lower body when I started up spin a few years ago. The only problem is I've yet to find an instructor I like as much as K-Dawg, so I've only gone to spin sporadically since she stopped teaching it two years ago. I guess I'll just have to try more of them out until I find something I can stick with!
I had a break from my normal after-work routine today. I was sitting in the living room in my penguin pajama pants, watching my new favorite show (new as in it's newly my favorite, not new as in it's a new show), Charmed, while writing therapy notes and making therapy materials for The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Then I got a call from a friend, inviting Shweetie and me to dinner at The Cheese Board. Shweetie was still at work, but I agreed to meet my three friends in Berkeley for a pizza dinner. When I got there, we all sat outside eating gourmet vegetarian pizza and chatting. I haven't seen them since shortly before Christmas, so it was nice catching up on things. I was informed that pizza was the first-course in our make-your-own three-course dinner. Shweetie arrived in time to eat a slice, then we traipsed across the street to Grégoire. We sat outside again and Shweetie and I shared a nice dish of oxtail and carrots, then chased it down with a crème caramel. We then headed up a block to a gelato place in a small indoor food court. Shweetie and I were stuffed by this point, as gelato was actually a fourth course for us, and I ate less than half my share. The weather was quite brisk, and I was freezing by the end of the evening, after eating three of the courses outside and then eating something cold inside, but the company was enjoyable and I'm so glad they called us.
Anyway, I should now either go to bed so that I'll be well-rested tomorrow and will have the time and energy to go to the gym, or I should continue drawing and coloring fruit pieces for my Very Hungry Caterpillar activity. Hmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment