Friday, August 14, 2009

Eating Extravaganza with Chips and Salsa, Day 3

The eating continued through Monday, the third day of Chips and Salsa’s visit. It was the first day of my little mini-break between summer session and new school year and Shweetie had taken the day off as well. The first place we headed off to was La Note, our hands down favorite breakfast place in the East Bay.

It was a beautiful day, so when offered an outside table, we accepted. The little enclosed patio in back of the restaurant is really cozy and adorable.




Salsa was having trouble deciding between pancakes and some of the egg dishes, so she went for the Coté Est, which comes with two scrambled eggs, one pancake (she picked the crème fraîche), and a choice of bacon or homefries (she went for homefries).




Chips went for Les Oeufs Maison, which comes with two eggs any style and homefries, and he added spicy Merguez sausage.


I was excited that we were there on a weekday because it meant that I could finally try the Pain Perdu au Chocolat, the pressed pain de mie French toast filled with chocolate hazelnut spread, which is not offered on the weekends. After trying it, though, I decided I actually like their Brioche Pain Perdu better, so at least I won’t feel like I’m missing out when I’m there again on the weekends.


Like Chips, Shweetie went for Les Oeufs Maison, which is his usual order, but he added chicken apple sausage to his. Chips didn’t listen to our recommendation to get the chicken apple sausage, which he later regretted when Shweetie let him try some of it off of his plate.


After lunch, we headed back home and Chips and Salsa debated about whether or not they should head over to Marin, an idea Salsa had been tossing around for the past few days. While they debated, we somehow turned on the TV and ended up watching a couple of episodes of Full House, which was funny since we had just been at Alamo Square a couple of days before. Chips and Salsa both ended up passing out in the living room, and Shweetie sneaked upstairs to catch a nap too. I was feeling like I weighed about 900 pounds after all the eating we’d been doing, so I woke Shweetie to let him know I was heading to the gym.

I caught the 4:30 Group Kick class, then headed back home. When I arrived, everyone was awake and hanging out in the living room. It turns out I’d missed a visit to Rudy’s Can’t Fail Café, so that Chips and Salsa could have a tuna melt as a midday snack, and a stop at Teacake Bake Shop for cookies.

We headed to San Francisco shortly thereafter, for our reservation at Range, one of the places we discovered recently, and one of our new favorite restaurants in the city. (I reviewed it previously here.)




We ordered a couple of the short ribs appetizers, which were a special that night. They were absolutely amazing, totally tender, falling off the bone with just a tiny little nudge, and melt in your mouth. Mmmm…


We also ordered the squash soup, which was pretty good.


Chips ordered the steak, which he seemed to like.


Salsa’s chicken looked pretty good, too.


We ordered the halibut, which was à la nage, just like the halibut dish we’d ordered the last time we were there. It was good, though we liked the other halibut dish we’d had before much better. Shweetie even let the waiter know that we’d liked the previous dish better, though he said so in a diplomatic way. The waiter said he would let the chef know.


At this point, I was so beyond done with food. For the first time probably in the history of, like, ever, Shweetie and I both declined dessert. Actually, that’s not true; we have declined dessert before, but usually only because we were unimpressed by the restaurant and assumed their desserts would suck. In this case, however, we opted to forego it because we were just feeling so tired of eating. Chips and Salsa must have been feeling the same way because they also declined dessert.

We then headed back home and guess what we did? Yep, we had some panna cotta.

No comments: