We had planned to have lunch at Brown Sugar Kitchen the last day of Chips and Salsa's visit. Ever since Shweetie had mentioned the place to her, Salsa kept asking, "Are we doing fried chicken today??" Apparently Baby likes fried stuff. In fact, the first day they arrived, Salsa was very disappointed that we weren't heading straight to Brown Sugar. However, the wait on the weekends is horrendous, especially for parties larger than two people (we've waited two hours before for a party of five), so we wanted to go on a weekday to avoid the awful wait. Since Brown Sugar is closed on Mondays, this left Tuesday as our only option.
However, Salsa still really, REALLY wanted to go to Cheeseboard Pizza, which, as you may recall, was closed when we had first tried to go there. Besides The French Laundry and Top Dog, Cheeseboard was the last request Salsa had made. They were reopening on Tuesday, and Salsa was having trouble deciding between Brown Sugar and Cheeseboard (though Chips kept asking, "Really? It's vegetarian pizza? WHY do we need to get vegetarian pizza??").
Finally, we decided to get up early and have Brown Sugar for breakfast, and then to have Cheeseboard for lunch. You know, because we hadn't already eaten enough in the past three days.
We headed out by 9ish, and walked right in to Brown Sugar, with no wait whatsoever. Score!
Shweetie went for his standard breakfast meal: two eggs, potatoes, chicken apple sausage, and toast.
I ordered their cornmeal waffle with brown sugar butter and apple cider syrup. I love their waffles, which are light and flaky, and their butter and syrup are absolutely divine. The only trouble with it is that the waffle is SO light and flaky that it doesn’t keep me full for very long. However, I was feeling so overstuffed from the past few days that I just could not bring myself to order fried chicken. Plus, I knew we’d be eating again in a few hours anyway, so I figured a light breakfast would not be the end of the world.
Chips and Salsa both went for their own plates of fried chicken and waffles.
After lunch, we went back home and Chips and Salsa packed up all their stuff. All too soon, it was mealtime again, so we headed to Berkeley to grab the last meal of Chips and Salsa’s gastronomic visit. We stood in line for our pizza, and then grabbed a bit of grass on the median along with the rest of the Cheeseboard patrons. It was actually a little bit scary sitting there with cars whizzing by on either side of us.

Cheeseboard always serves only one kind of pizza for the day, and today’s variety was dressed with heirloom tomatoes, onions, mozzarella, asiago cheese, and fresh herbs. It was quite tasty, and even Chips admitted that it was good, despite having no meat.


After finishing off our pizza, we headed back home so that Chips and Salsa could grab their things, and then we took them to the airport to catch their afternoon flight. I’m really glad they came up to visit and that we were able to fulfill all of Salsa’s food wishes before their kidlet makes his way into this world.
Amazingly, I managed not to really gain any weight throughout this whole extravaganza. However, part of that was because, as Shweetie headed off to work that afternoon, guess where I went? Yep, I headed straight to the gym to start working off all of those extra calories. I won't need to look at food again for awhile! If there's anything this long weekend taught me, it's that there's definitely such a thing as TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING!
No comments:
Post a Comment