Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shoes - I FOUND You!

I’ve been in crazy shoe heaven lately, and I’m seriously not even a shoe person. But anyway, remember those Mephistos I really wanted that I couldn’t bring myself to buy for $345? Well, for the past few weeks, Zappos, who sold them for $197, still didn’t have them in my size. I’d been checking every day, and still, no cigar. I did finally find them in my size at a place online in Canada for a little bit more than Zappos, but they were non-returnable and charged shipping, and after going through the whole checkout process, in the end, I just couldn’t hit “place order.”

Well, the other day, I just randomly decided to Google my beloved Mephistos, and the first link that came up was to a listing on eBay, that just happened to be in my size, for $84.99. I almost hyperventilated at the very notion of this crazy deal. Plus, they offered a 90-day return policy! After calling Shweetie downstairs and jabbing incoherently at the computer screen, I clicked on the “buy it now” button, and within minutes was the proud winner of the shoes I’d been ogling for three weeks. With shipping and handling and tax, the total cost was $101.57. Woo hoo!

They arrived this morning, don’t seem to be knockoffs, and are just as comfortable as I remember them being in the store. The only thing that surprised me was that they were not exactly as advertised. The listing had claimed that “these shoes were never worn before and are very close to brand new condition,” but it is apparent they have been worn outside at least once, as the bottoms are scuffed as if they’ve been on cement. In all honesty, though, I really don’t care. What difference does it make to me if they’ve been worn outside once? I mean, if I’d gotten them and they’d really been brand new, they’d look like this after I wear them outside once anyway. Who cares, I got them for 70% off!

No comments: