Thursday, April 3, 2008

If I'd only known...

If I'd known how easy it was to change my last name with social security, I seriously would have done it about five and a half months ago. The entire process took about five minutes. In fact, calling them and going through the automated system to 1) find out where the nearest social security office is, and 2) request an application form, took waaaaaaaaaaaay longer than actually applying for the new card itself.

I filled out the application the other night, and it was relatively straightforward. However, it also took an entire page to list all of the different scenarios why someone might be changing their name and all of the documentation one needs to bring for each in order to apply. It stated that I had to prove my identity and that I needed to bring in my birth certificate (which I don't have readily available), but I hoped my passport would suffice, since it stated that it would be accepted "in some cases." I also unearthed my current social security card and marriage certificate to bring in.

So, yesterday after work, I headed to the social security office, which happens to be right next door to the breakfast place where I used to buy bagels when I worked in Berkeley. I walked in, took a number, got called a minute later, had my name and social security number entered into the system, sat back down, got called again a couple of minutes later, gave them my application, marriage certificate, and driver's license, and was told a minute later, "You should receive your new card in ten days." And that was it.

I can only hope my visit to the DMV next week is just as snappy. I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: