Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Love My New Dentist

So...it's been three years since I last went to the dentist. I know, I know. When I switched jobs a few years ago, I also switched dental insurance, and it turns out the dentist I've gone to since I was two years old doesn't take my insurance. So rather than go find an in-network provider when I was due for my six month cleaning, I buried my head in the sand. I finally decided recently that I ought to visit a dentist, partly because I was afraid all of my teeth might be rotting, and also since a portion of each of my paychecks has been going into dental insurance for the last two and a half years, and I figured I might as well finally go make use of it.

I turned to trusty Yelp, and selected Dublin Family Dentistry, who had 23 five-star ratings. With such rave reviews, I figured, "Suuuuure, why not?" Because of my work and gym schedule, my availability was pretty limited, so I had to make my appointment more than a month in advance, during my President's Week break from work. However, they said they would give me a call if anything opened up prior to my appointment, and, true to their word, they called me twice before my appointment, when people canceled. Unfortunately, I wasn't available during any of those times, so I kept my scheduled appointment.

When the day of my appointment finally arrived, I was of course running late. I called to let them know, and they were really nice about it and appreciated my call. Once I arrived, I found out that Dr. Chen, who would be seeing me that day, wasn't feeling great and had completely lost her voice, but didn't want to cancel on me because she'd known how long I'd been waiting for this appointment! I was super appreciative of this, since I probably wouldn't have been available again for an appointment until April, when I have spring break. (Yes, that's right, I get a week off for President's Week and a week off for spring break. You hate me right now, huh?)

Dr. Chen was super nice, explaining each and every thing she would be doing and why she was doing it. I'm not one of those deathly-afraid-of-the-dentist people, but I appreciated finally knowing what each step of a teeth cleaning is for. Oh, and not only was she really informative, she was also amazingly gentle! She and all of her staff, including the hygienist and two front-desk people, were unbelievably nice, helpful, and friendly. Dr. Chen and her hygienist chatted with me, seemingly out of genuine interest, and let me select a DVD to watch on the flat-screen TV on the wall while they worked on my teeth. They had a whole cabinet from which to choose. Talk about first-class service, huh? I already scheduled my next cleaning with them in August.

You know, I never had any problems with my last dentist, and if it weren't for the fact that they're not a provider in my current insurance's network, I would still be going to them. However, now that I've had a taste of THIS level of dental service, I don't think I'll ever be switching again. I just wish I'd found this place sooner!

Oh, and to top it all off, I wrote them a five-star review on Yelp, and they sent me a thank you card along with a $25 gift certificate to Nordstrom's! Can you believe that?!

Oh, but I almost forgot to mention the most amazing thing from this whole experience: I didn't have any cavities.

No comments: