Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hong Kong Eats

When I told people we were going to Hong Kong, the main things I heard from those who had visited it before were wistful tales of delicious things they had eaten there. As such, we had a number of must-eats during our trip.


Crispy Buns served with Sweet Condensed Milk and Hong Kong Iced Milk Tea


Pan Fried Crispy Noodles


Fish Balls and Sliced Fish Cakes with Rice Noodles in Fish Soup


War Wonton Noodle Soup


Hong Kong iced tea, also known as "Silk Stocking Iced Tea," since the filters they use look like stockings


Egg Tarts


Crispy Barbecued Pork Buns


Tomato Beef Soup


Steamed Whole Fresh Crab Claw with Winter Melon


Scallops with Rice Noodles in Black Bean Sauce

Nearly everything we ate there was delicious, with the exception of maybe the Tomato Beef concoction (why would I want canned tomatoes when I can get fresh ones at home?). I have to admit I was a teensy bit disappointed that the egg tarts and milk tea were not heads and shoulders above some of the best I have had in the states. Don't get me wrong; they were fantastic, but I've also had fantastic egg tarts and milk tea at home or in LA. However, the one thing I continue to pine for are those AMAZING crispy barbecued pork buns. I already prefer baked pork buns to steamed ones, but these buns had a buttery, crispy top to them that rivals nothing I have had at home. They were hands-down the most memorable things we ate in Hong Kong. I could go for a whole plate of them right now.

No comments: