So Naan has been badgering me for forever to go visit her down in San Diego, so when I realized she and I had the day off for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and that Shweetie didn't, AND that there were super cheap flights for that weekend, I decided to finally put a stop to Naan's incessant nagging and fly down to see her and Curry.
I flew down late Saturday morning and got in around lunch time. Naan and Curry picked me up and we headed straight down to this seafood place that overlooked the water. The place was very casual. You ordered your food at the counter by elbowing your way to the front and shouting your order to the workers, then picked up your food when your number was called. We managed to find a table outside and the weather was pleasant, so I enjoyed a fat and juicy crab sandwich as the first meal of my visit. After lunch, we headed back to their place so I could finally see the two bedroom place they'd been living in for over a year and get reacquainted with Joshua the cat. He seemed to like me. We lounged around for a bit before heading back out to dinner. They took me to this cheap sushi place downtown, called Sushi Deli 2. There was a long wait, but the food ended up being worth it. Dinner was good but we still made room for frozen yogurt at Yogurtland afterward.
The next day, Naan and I went to The Cottage in La Jolla for brunch, where I had another crab dish, their version of a crab melt, which had fresh crab mixed with peppers and mayonnaise on sourdough parmesan cheese toast. I'd been torn between the crab melt and the stuffed French toast, so our helpful waitress suggested that I order the crab melt and that we get a side order of the stuffed French toast, which would be only one slice instead of three, to split between the two of us. I was bursting at the seams after brunch.
Afterward, Naan needed to drop off a belated birthday present to a friend, so I tagged along and finally got to meet two of the friends I've heard all about for the past few years. We bummed around a bit for awhile after that, then Naan and Curry and I went to Chopstix, a Japanese restaurant, since I felt like ramen for dinner. That night I stayed up way too late reading Twilight, since Naan has all four books. I've been hearing all about this series forever and finally wanted to know what all the fuss was about.
The next day I slept in till after noon, thanks to my staying up late enough to hear Curry's alarm clock go off. Unfortunately, I can't say that staying up that late to finish the book was worth it, because I found it only eh. However, now I finally know what people are talking about. Anyway, Naan and I ended up not getting out of the house until a ridiculous hour. I was developing a massive headache from lack of caffeine, so we headed straight to Peet's in the pouring rain so I could get my fix. It was seriously raining cats and dogs, so we decided to break our crab sandwich/Japanese food cycle, and instead just walked several storefronts down to Rubio's and had lunch after 3:00 pm. Lunch was pretty uneventful, except for the weird older woman who seemed completely out of it ("Is today Saturday?" "Um, it's Monday." "What?"; "Can I have a bag?" "Your food is already in a bag, ma'am." "What?").
Naan and I then went back to their place so we could do this Pilates DVD I'd given her a couple of Christmases ago. She was afraid to do the video by herself, so I was able to walk and talk her through a bunch of the poses and make corrections to her form. By the time we were done with some of the basics, Curry had come home from work and we had to leave for the airport. We grabbed a rushed meal off of the dollar menu at McDonald's, then hurried to the airport. Traffic was awful around the airport and I was starting to freak out just a little, but once I got there and had gotten through security, I realized I needn't have worried. The monitor stated that my flight was still "on time," though there were two earlier flights leaving from my gate that were delayed, and there was no airplane at all at the gate. My gate and the surrounding gates were a complete zoo due to numerous delayed flights, which I figured could be attributed to the horrendous weather.
I did finally get on my plane and get home. All in all, it was a fun weekend visiting Naan and Curry, and Joshua was much less spazzy than I remember him being from the last time I saw him.
No comments:
Post a Comment