Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Big Happenings Lately

This, by far, has been the longest I've ever gone without blogging. Even though tons of things have been going on lately, and I do mean tons, I just haven't felt the urge to document it in any way. I guess such huge things have been happening, it's hard for me to put everything into words. Anyway, here's a rundown to get us current.

Our country elected the first African American president. This historic happening was monumental, and I am so excited to say that I was a part of it. My elation over Obama's winning the presidency was almost completely tempered by the fact that Proposition 8 passed. The only thing that comforts me is the fact that I know this fight is nowhere close to being over, and I have faith that the right thing will be done eventually. I just wonder how long we'll have to wait before "eventually" comes. I've been spending way too much time lately reading blog after blog, with arguments both for and against Proposition 8, and so far those who fought so hard for it to pass have still not convinced me that their staunch stance is not a result of fear and/or bigotry. I'm really not interested in starting a debate about this subject, as I've already been through this on Facebook, and I've realized that arguing about it with people who are part of the religious right is completely nonproductive and a waste of time (not to say that I don't regularly engage in nonproductive activities, because I definitely do).

The thing that has been occupying much of my time and thoughts, however, is the Hawk. She went into surgery on October 20th, to have a cyst removed. Tests revealed that the cyst was actually cancerous, and our family has been trying to wrap our heads around the fact that the Hawk has ovarian cancer. We are unbelievably fortunate, though, because they found and removed it while it was still Stage 1, and the cancer had not spread beyond the mass itself. Hawk has been recovering from surgery for the past four weeks, and has had some ups and downs. She seemed to be doing really well the first week after she came home from the hospital, and even for the three days she was in the hospital she seemed to be recovering very quickly. However, since then she's been having digestion issues, abdominal pain, and even a horrible food poisoning incident (at least, we believe it was food poisoning) that landed her back in the ER for six hours this past weekend. She's due to start chemo tomorrow, so in preparation, the Hawk had her head feathers trimmed quite short, and I went with her to purchase a wig on Friday. She's lucky that short feathers are quite becoming on her. I don't think I could wear such a short 'do and look that Hawkin'. I'll post photos of it once I get them from her.

However, there has been exciting news! My cousin announced that she is getting married in January and will be having their first child in July. We are really stoked about another family wedding and the fact that there will be another little one, and I'm willing to bet that the kid will be a girl. As excited as I'm sure my grandma must be, I somehow doubt this will stop her from pressuring the Shweeties to procreate. Sorry, y'all have quite a wait ahead of you for Baby Shweetie. Give me another five years.

No comments: